• LES GARANTIES PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Avignon

    Place des Corps saints

    This is the site where the dead were buried outside the walls of Avenio during Roman colonial times. Cardinal Pierre de Luxembourg, who died in 1387 at the age of 19, wanted to be interred in the small cemetery of the po…

    Plus de visites & activités pour : Étiquette :

    Adresse

    Ville

    Avignon

    Code postal

    84000

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    This is the site where the dead were buried outside the walls of Avenio during Roman colonial times. Cardinal Pierre de Luxembourg, who died in 1387 at the age of 19, wanted to be interred in the small cemetery of the poor near the river Sorgue out of a sense of humility. A series of miracles occurred over his tomb shortly afterwards, and it became such an important place of pilgrimage that the Queen of Sicily, Marie of Blois, had a wooden chapel built there in 1389. Clement VII granted the Celestins permission to found a monastery on the same site. The first stone of the church was laid on June 25, 1395 by the Dukes of Berry, Burgundy and Orléans. The building advanced in stages and, after work was interrupted in 1425 following the construction of a third bay closed in by the temporary façade, it was never resumed. Later, in 1690, the relics of St Bénézet were removed from the bridge and housed in the church of the Celestins. The square then took the name Place des Corps Saints (‘Square of the Holy Bodies’), an allusion both to Pierre de Luxembourg and St Bénézet. Like a village in the heart of Avignon, the Place des Corps Saints is now a pleasant esplanade arranged around a fountain; it is surrounded by shops and cafe terraces, with shade provided by four large plane trees where a mix of locals, students and festival-goers gather to cool off in the heat of July. This is the site where the dead were buried outside the walls of Avenio during Roman colonial times. Cardinal Pierre de Luxembourg, who died in 1387 at the age of 19, wanted to be interred in the small cemetery of the poor near the river Sorgue out of a sense of humility. A series of miracles occurred over his tomb shortly afterwards, and it became such an important place of pilgrimage that the Queen of Sicily, Marie of Blois, had a wooden chapel built there in 1389. Clement VII granted the Celestins permission to found a monastery on the same site. The first stone of the church was laid on June 25, 1395 by the Dukes of Berry, Burgundy and Orléans. The building advanced in stages and, after work was interrupted in 1425 following the construction of a third bay closed in by the temporary façade, it was never resumed. Later, in 1690, the relics of St Bénézet were removed from the bridge and housed in the church of the Celestins. The square then took the name Place des Corps Saints (‘Square of the Holy Bodies’), an allusion both to Pierre de Luxembourg and St Bénézet. Like a village in the heart of Avignon, the Place des Corps Saints is now a pleasant esplanade arranged around a fountain; it is surrounded by shops and cafe terraces, with shade provided by four large plane trees where a mix of locals, students and festival-goers gather to cool off in the heat of July.


    informations pratiques

    Informations tarif

    gratuit

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Donnez votre avis “Place des Corps saints”