• LES GARANTIES PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Avignon

    Place de l’horloge

    In the Middle Ages it was a simple crossroads where the town’s main market, with its butcher’s and herb seller’s, was held. When, in 1447, the consuls established the town’s administrative centre in the old buildings of …

    Plus de visites & activités pour : Étiquette :

    Adresse

    Ville

    Avignon

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    In the Middle Ages it was a simple crossroads where the town’s main market, with its butcher’s and herb seller’s, was held. When, in 1447, the consuls established the town’s administrative centre in the old buildings of the Livrée of Albane, it was felt that the square needed to be enlarged. A Jacquemart clock was installed at the top of the tower. It is the clock that gives this grand square its name. In 1793 it was renamed Place de la Révolution. The square’s current layout is a result of the major improvement work carried out in the town during the Second Empire and Third Republic. The new theatre was built in 1853 on the ruins of the ancient monastery of St Laurent. The town hall was erected next door in 1853. The Municipal Theatre, dating from the 19th century, played a key role in local life. The entrance to the building (which was finished in 1847) is flanked by two large statues of Molière and Corneille sitting in a chair, and is the work of local sculptors, the Brian brothers. The auditorium is in the style of an Italian theatre with stalls, four series of galleries and a decorated ceiling. The Place de l’Horloge is a landmark for everyone who lives in Avignon and for theatre-lovers, who eagerly make their way there during the festival in July. In the Middle Ages it was a simple crossroads where the town’s main market, with its butcher’s and herb seller’s, was held. When, in 1447, the consuls established the town’s administrative centre in the old buildings of the Livrée of Albane, it was felt that the square needed to be enlarged. A Jacquemart clock was installed at the top of the tower. It is the clock that gives this grand square its name. In 1793 it was renamed Place de la Révolution. The square’s current layout is a result of the major improvement work carried out in the town during the Second Empire and Third Republic. The new theatre was built in 1853 on the ruins of the ancient monastery of St Laurent. The town hall was erected next door in 1853. The Municipal Theatre, dating from the 19th century, played a key role in local life. The entrance to the building (which was finished in 1847) is flanked by two large statues of Molière and Corneille sitting in a chair, and is the work of local sculptors, the Brian brothers. The auditorium is in the style of an Italian theatre with stalls, four series of galleries and a decorated ceiling. The Place de l’Horloge is a landmark for everyone who lives in Avignon and for theatre-lovers, who eagerly make their way there during the festival in July.


    informations pratiques

    Informations tarif

    gratuit

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Donnez votre avis “Place de l’horloge”