• LES GARANTIES PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Avignon

    Chapelle de l’Oratoire

    The Oratorians, who were based in Avignon from 1646, built this church on land adjacent to the Dominican convent. The canon, Jean Léonard, took inspiration from the chapel of the hospital of la Vieille Charité in Marseil…

    Plus de visites & activités pour : Étiquette :

    Adresse

    Ville

    Avignon

    Code postal

    84000

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    The Oratorians, who were based in Avignon from 1646, built this church on land adjacent to the Dominican convent. The canon, Jean Léonard, took inspiration from the chapel of the hospital of la Vieille Charité in Marseilles, where he was born. Building began in 1713, and the church was consecrated in 1750. As the Oratorians had been ardent supporters of the Revolution, the chapel was first converted into a ‘patriotic club’. Following the massacres of La Glacière, the new town of Avignon took over the site to store its gunpowder, saltpetre and ammunition. The chapel then remained under the control of the Ministry of War. It was saved from destruction by the quick-thinking of the people of Avignon who had converted it into a theatre. The site only became a place of worship again in 1825 and was subsequently classified as a historic monument on May 2, 1912. Today the building is the chapel of the chaplaincy of the Frédéric Mistral school. The Oratorians, who were based in Avignon from 1646, built this church on land adjacent to the Dominican convent. The canon, Jean Léonard, took inspiration from the chapel of the hospital of la Vieille Charité in Marseilles, where he was born. Building began in 1713, and the church was consecrated in 1750. As the Oratorians had been ardent supporters of the Revolution, the chapel was first converted into a ‘patriotic club’. Following the massacres of La Glacière, the new town of Avignon took over the site to store its gunpowder, saltpetre and ammunition. The chapel then remained under the control of the Ministry of War. It was saved from destruction by the quick-thinking of the people of Avignon who had converted it into a theatre. The site only became a place of worship again in 1825 and was subsequently classified as a historic monument on May 2, 1912. Today the building is the chapel of the chaplaincy of the Frédéric Mistral school.


    informations pratiques

    Informations tarif

    gratuit

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Donnez votre avis “Chapelle de l’Oratoire”