After a career of jurist and adviser of the King of France Philippe the 4th, said Philippe Le Bel, Étienne Aubert is appointed bishop of Noyon then of Clermont and finally Cardinal. From this appointment and before becoming Pope under the name of Innocent the 4th, Étienne Aubert buys on the right bank of the Rhône an area to beat cereal situated on a small rocky rise which belonged to the abbey Saint-André to Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. He builds there his Cardinal residence. At the death of Clément the 6th, Étienne Aubert is elected a Pope under the name of Innocent the 6th on December 18th, 1352. But this appointment did not take place without difficulties: indeed the Cardinals suggested at first to appoint Jean Birel, general of the Carthusian monks, who, In his great humility, declined this offer Since this election, Innocent the 6th buys several neighboring plots of land east of his palace. He builds the “Grand Tinel” (i.e. the reception hall) and the chapel Saint-Jean-Baptiste which are decorated by the artist Matteo Giovannetti. Innocent the 6th was born in the village of Mounts on the territory of the municipality of Beyssac where was located the Chartreuse of Glandier. He was very attached to this religious order. His self-abnegation could only incite the Pope to create a new Chartreuse. Since January 26th, 1353 he calls to Avignon, two monks from the Grande Chartreuse obviously for a project of creation of a subsidiary in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. On June 2nd, 1356, a papal bull stipulates the foundation of a Chartreuse against the walls of its palace in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon with the settlement of a religious community of about forty persons. Some years will be necessary to build the main cloister surrounded with thirteen monks’ houses, the small cloister, the chapter room and the church. The Pope formalises the foundation of the Chartreuse during a spectacular ceremony when the church and the convent are consecrated on August 19th, 1358 by Cardinal Guy de Boulogne. The pope wanted to be buried in the monastery which he had just created. On October 29th, 1360 Innocent the 6th asks the Prior Pierre de la Porte to build a chapel to host his grave. This chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity is raised to the South of the church; it forms a pentagon apse prolonged of a span of nave. It became today a cultural centre and is partner of the Festival of Avignon. It consists of three cloisters surrounded by forty cells and gardens. Its chapel, its frescoes and its church made it the widest Chartreuse of France. If you take time to visit it, do not miss to visit the Chapel of frescoes.