Avignon

    Fort Saint André

    €5,50

    Category: Tag:

    Address

    address

    Rue Montée du Fort

    Town

    Villeneuve-les-Avignon

    Postal code

    30400

    Website

    http://fort-saint-andre.monuments-nationaux.fr/

    Map


    Description

    Fort Saint André The Saint-André fortress in Villeneuve-les-Avignon served to protect the access of the kingdom of France in the Languedoc region. The former name of the village of Villeneuve was: “Saint André-les-Avignon” The first traces of occupation in the very place of the fortress date back to Prehistory, but it’s really in the 10th century that this hill, called Mount Andaon, will become as important. In fact, in 999 a first abbey is built in its summit. It is dedicated to host the relics of Sainte Casarie who retired in this hill before passing away in the 6th century. Its abbey knows then a big prosperity and hosts up to 80 monks in the Middle Ages. A numerous population comes to live around the abbey. This is when the mount Andaon dominating the Rhône valley is going to take all its importance: it is located on the lands of the County of Toulouse, in front of the territory of the County of Provence. In 1032, death of Rodolphe the 3rd of Bunrgundy, the county of Provence is included in the Saint German Holy Roman Empire. By dynastic links, the Northern part of the County of Provence is included in the County of Toulouse in 1193. Then in 1274 and 1348, the Comtat Venaissin and then the city of Avignon are sold to the Pope. So the Mount Andaon – where the abbey is built – still belonging to the Count of Toulouse who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, finds itself in front of the Papal power. Since the beginning of the 13th century, the King Louis the 8th (1223-1226) becomes aware of the strategic interest of the Mount Andaon. Wishing to widen the royal domain to the South and the East, the King signs an agreement with the abbey Saint-André which releases it from the influence of the bishop of Avignon and the possible pretentions of which it could be the object. This agreement is renewed by Philippe Le Bel (1270-1314) who signs a new bill in 1292, in which he shows his will to guarantee the protection of the place. So he undertakes the construction of a fortress which would protect the abbey and the village from armed gangs ravaging then cities and villages of the South of France. But it is only under Jean the 2nd, said Jean Le Bon (1350-1364), that the fortress will be really implemented and ended under Charles the 5th reign (1364-1380). The access to the fortress is through a vast door flanked by two twin towers. Their terraces offer an impressing panorama on the Rhône valley and Avignon. It has been classified as “Historic Monument” in 1903 2-Fort Saint André The Saint-André fortress in Villeneuve-les-Avignon served to protect the access of the kingdom of France in the Languedoc region. The former name of the village of Villeneuve was: “Saint André-les-Avignon” The first traces of occupation in the very place of the fortress date back to Prehistory, but it’s really in the 10th century that this hill, called Mount Andaon, will become as important. In fact, in 999 a first abbey is built in its summit. It is dedicated to host the relics of Sainte Casarie who retired in this hill before passing away in the 6th century. Its abbey knows then a big prosperity and hosts up to 80 monks in the Middle Ages. A numerous population comes to live around the abbey. This is when the mount Andaon dominating the Rhône valley is going to take all its importance: it is located on the lands of the County of Toulouse, in front of the territory of the County of Provence. In 1032, death of Rodolphe the 3rd of Bunrgundy, the county of Provence is included in the Saint German Holy Roman Empire. By dynastic links, the Northern part of the County of Provence is included in the County of Toulouse in 1193. Then in 1274 and 1348, the Comtat Venaissin and then the city of Avignon are sold to the Pope. So the Mount Andaon – where the abbey is built – still belonging to the Count of Toulouse who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, finds itself in front of the Papal power. Since the beginning of the 13th century, the King Louis the 8th (1223-1226) becomes aware of the strategic interest of the Mount Andaon. Wishing to widen the royal domain to the South and the East, the King signs an agreement with the abbey Saint-André which releases it from the influence of the bishop of Avignon and the possible pretentions of which it could be the object. This agreement is renewed by Philippe Le Bel (1270-1314) who signs a new bill in 1292, in which he shows his will to guarantee the protection of the place. So he undertakes the construction of a fortress which would protect the abbey and the village from armed gangs ravaging then cities and villages of the South of France. But it is only under Jean the 2nd, said Jean Le Bon (1350-1364), that the fortress will be really implemented and ended under Charles the 5th reign (1364-1380). The access to the fortress is through a vast door flanked by two twin towers. Their terraces offer an impressing panorama on the Rhône valley and Avignon. It has been classified as “Historic Monument” in 1903 2-Fort Saint André The Saint-André fortress in Villeneuve-les-Avignon served to protect the access of the kingdom of France in the Languedoc region. The former name of the village of Villeneuve was: “Saint André-les-Avignon” The first traces of occupation in the very place of the fortress date back to Prehistory, but it’s really in the 10th century that this hill, called Mount Andaon, will become as important. In fact, in 999 a first abbey is built in its summit. It is dedicated to host the relics of Sainte Casarie who retired in this hill before passing away in the 6th century. Its abbey knows then a big prosperity and hosts up to 80 monks in the Middle Ages. A numerous population comes to live around the abbey. This is when the mount Andaon dominating the Rhône valley is going to take all its importance: it is located on the lands of the County of Toulouse, in front of the territory of the County of Provence. In 1032, death of Rodolphe the 3rd of Bunrgundy, the county of Provence is included in the Saint German Holy Roman Empire. By dynastic links, the Northern part of the County of Provence is included in the County of Toulouse in 1193. Then in 1274 and 1348, the Comtat Venaissin and then the city of Avignon are sold to the Pope. So the Mount Andaon – where the abbey is built – still belonging to the Count of Toulouse who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, finds itself in front of the Papal power. Since the beginning of the 13th century, the King Louis the 8th (1223-1226) becomes aware of the strategic interest of the Mount Andaon. Wishing to widen the royal domain to the South and the East, the King signs an agreement with the abbey Saint-André which releases it from the influence of the bishop of Avignon and the possible pretentions of which it could be the object. This agreement is renewed by Philippe Le Bel (1270-1314) who signs a new bill in 1292, in which he shows his will to guarantee the protection of the place. So he undertakes the construction of a fortress which would protect the abbey and the village from armed gangs ravaging then cities and villages of the South of France. But it is only under Jean the 2nd, said Jean Le Bon (1350-1364), that the fortress will be really implemented and ended under Charles the 5th reign (1364-1380). The access to the fortress is through a vast door flanked by two twin towers. Their terraces offer an impressing panorama on the Rhône valley and Avignon. It has been classified as “Historic Monument” in 1903 2-Fort Saint André The Saint-André fortress in Villeneuve-les-Avignon served to protect the access of the kingdom of France in the Languedoc region. The former name of the village of Villeneuve was: “Saint André-les-Avignon” The first traces of occupation in the very place of the fortress date back to Prehistory, but it’s really in the 10th century that this hill, called Mount Andaon, will become as important. In fact, in 999 a first abbey is built in its summit. It is dedicated to host the relics of Sainte Casarie who retired in this hill before passing away in the 6th century. Its abbey knows then a big prosperity and hosts up to 80 monks in the Middle Ages. A numerous population comes to live around the abbey. This is when the mount Andaon dominating the Rhône valley is going to take all its importance: it is located on the lands of the County of Toulouse, in front of the territory of the County of Provence. In 1032, death of Rodolphe the 3rd of Bunrgundy, the county of Provence is included in the Saint German Holy Roman Empire. By dynastic links, the Northern part of the County of Provence is included in the County of Toulouse in 1193. Then in 1274 and 1348, the Comtat Venaissin and then the city of Avignon are sold to the Pope. So the Mount Andaon – where the abbey is built – still belonging to the Count of Toulouse who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, finds itself in front of the Papal power. Since the beginning of the 13th century, the King Louis the 8th (1223-1226) becomes aware of the strategic interest of the Mount Andaon. Wishing to widen the royal domain to the South and the East, the King signs an agreement with the abbey Saint-André which releases it from the influence of the bishop of Avignon and the possible pretentions of which it could be the object. This agreement is renewed by Philippe Le Bel (1270-1314) who signs a new bill in 1292, in which he shows his will to guarantee the protection of the place. So he undertakes the construction of a fortress which would protect the abbey and the village from armed gangs ravaging then cities and villages of the South of France. But it is only under Jean the 2nd, said Jean Le Bon (1350-1364), that the fortress will be really implemented and ended under Charles the 5th reign (1364-1380). The access to the fortress is through a vast door flanked by two twin towers. Their terraces offer an impressing panorama on the Rhône valley and Avignon. It has been classified as “Historic Monument” in 1903 2-Fort Saint André The Saint-André fortress in Villeneuve-les-Avignon served to protect the access of the kingdom of France in the Languedoc region. The former name of the village of Villeneuve was: “Saint André-les-Avignon” The first traces of occupation in the very place of the fortress date back to Prehistory, but it’s really in the 10th century that this hill, called Mount Andaon, will become as important. In fact, in 999 a first abbey is built in its summit. It is dedicated to host the relics of Sainte Casarie who retired in this hill before passing away in the 6th century. Its abbey knows then a big prosperity and hosts up to 80 monks in the Middle Ages. A numerous population comes to live around the abbey. This is when the mount Andaon dominating the Rhône valley is going to take all its importance: it is located on the lands of the County of Toulouse, in front of the territory of the County of Provence. In 1032, death of Rodolphe the 3rd of Bunrgundy, the county of Provence is included in the Saint German Holy Roman Empire. By dynastic links, the Northern part of the County of Provence is included in the County of Toulouse in 1193. Then in 1274 and 1348, the Comtat Venaissin and then the city of Avignon are sold to the Pope. So the Mount Andaon – where the abbey is built – still belonging to the Count of Toulouse who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, finds itself in front of the Papal power. Since the beginning of the 13th century, the King Louis the 8th (1223-1226) becomes aware of the strategic interest of the Mount Andaon. Wishing to widen the royal domain to the South and the East, the King signs an agreement with the abbey Saint-André which releases it from the influence of the bishop of Avignon and the possible pretentions of which it could be the object. This agreement is renewed by Philippe Le Bel (1270-1314) who signs a new bill in 1292, in which he shows his will to guarantee the protection of the place. So he undertakes the construction of a fortress which would protect the abbey and the village from armed gangs ravaging then cities and villages of the South of France. But it is only under Jean the 2nd, said Jean Le Bon (1350-1364), that the fortress will be really implemented and ended under Charles the 5th reign (1364-1380). The access to the fortress is through a vast door flanked by two twin towers. Their terraces offer an impressing panorama on the Rhône valley and Avignon. It has been classified as “Historic Monument” in 1903


    Practical Information

    Full price (in €)

    5,50

    Price conditions

    Full price : 5,5 € / Reduced price: 4,5 €

    Reviews (0)

    Reviews


    There are no reviews yet.

    Be the first to review “Fort Saint André”